Browse: Home / Muscle Maintenace – DO YOU??
When was the last time you checked the oil in your car?
I’ll admit it, I often forget to check mine, and my Dad will always get on my case about it…LOL
I am NOT here to get on your case, rather to help educate you on something EQUALLY important, I call it MUSCLE MAINTENANCE.
We feed our body properly so that we can train efficiently so that we can see specific results, correct?
We train hard, we push physical limits we set upon ourself and we see positive change within our physical bodies, correct?
Do we practice regular muscle maintenance?
Do you know what I mean when I say that?
I’m talking about Massage Therapy, Chiropractic adjustments, A.R.T , Foam Rolling, and Fascial Release.
When we train, which we all do, we put stress on our muscles , tendons ligaments and joints. Our muscles, ligaments and tendons shorten with the stress and our joints tighten up, all creating discomfort.
The tightening causes not only physical discomfort in the form of limited range of motion, muscle tightness, inhibited circulation, joint immobility even headaches.
Each of the above maintenance practices have roles in preventing and relieving the above issues, especially if practiced regularly.
Without proper maintenance of the muscles it is unrealistic to expect them to perform to their full ability. The movement will be shortened, the power will be limited and the recovery will be longer.
I personally see my chiropractor twice weekly and my massage therapist once weekly for maintenance work.
What are the benefits of Massage Therapy?
- Improved range of motion, speeds up recovery time, increases muscle tone and flexibility.
- Increases circulation which helps remove toxins from the body.
What are the benefits of Chiropractic Therapy?
- Not just for injury or ailment treatment, but a preventative practice as well.
- Regular adjustments can restore and maintain balance within the physical body
- Injury prevention
- Tight muscle, tight fascia, tight tendon treatment
- Helps keep the nervous system functioning at 100% – keeping the brains communication track clear and healthy
What are the benefits of A.R.T ( active release Technique / Treatment) ?
- Removal of adhesions or scar tissues in overused muscles
- Release tension with headaches, back pain, carpal tunnel, shin splint, inflammation of the joints and other peripheral nerve entrapment
What are the benefits of Foam Rolling?
- Improved blood circulation through skin, fascia, muscles tendons and ligaments
- Healthy circulation allows for a cleaner exchange of nutrients and toxins removal, giving you a higher overall cellular function
- Lengthens shortened muscles and ligaments (as an example the hip flexor is an area very hard to stretch and the foam roller allows you to access the tendon)
- Promotion of spinal ROM ( range of motion)
What are the benefits of Fascial Release?
First off what IS fascia??
It is the connective tissue that lays beneath your skin above your muscle and often becomes very tight with daily activities, both physical and emotional, but often forgotten during regular muscle massage.
- Decrease in muscular pain ( both in the immediate superficial location as well as the area of dysfunction as well)
- Strengthens the immune system, fascia pulls on the lymphatic flow, slowing it down when it becomes tight. Stretching it and releasing it will allow healthy circulation of the lymphatic system.
- Releases nerve numbness, tingling and pain in the limbs
- Improves blood circulation
My homework for YOU is to start incorporating ONE of these practices into your training regime.
I realize that not everybody has access to massage physio or chiro treatments or has the coverage through their job or personal benefits, so maybe you start with FOAM ROLLING.
Be good to your body, it’s the only one you’ve got:)